Frank Lloyd Wright

Frank Lloyd Wright


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Ohne formale Architekturausbildung etablierte sich Frank Lloyd Wright dennoch als einflussreichster amerikanischer Architekt des 20. Jahrhunderts. Zu einem frühen Zeitpunkt seiner Karriere übernahm er das Konzept "Form follows Function", was ihn dazu brachte, einige der innovativsten Entwürfe für Gebäude zu entwerfen, die von bescheidenen Häusern bis hin zum Guggenheim Museum in New York City reichten.Wrights Eltern waren William Cary Wright und Anna Lloyd Jones Wright, die ihre Vorfahren auf Wales zurückführten. Seine erste Auftragsarbeit war die Hillside Home School, die 1888 für Wrights Tanten in der Nähe von Spring Green, Wisconsin, gebaut wurde. Nach etwa einem Jahr erhielt Wright eine bessere Stelle als Zeichner bei Adler und Sullivan, einem damals bekannten Chicagoer Architekturbüro bei der Vorreiter der architektonischen Gestaltung. Wright bezeichnete Louis Sullivan später als seinen Lieber Meister, was „geliebter Meister“ bedeutet, und erkannte Sullivan allein als Einfluss auf seine Arbeit an. 1889 heiratete Wright Catherine Lee Clark Tobin – die erste von drei Ehefrauen – mit der er Mit 5.000 Dollar, die er von Sullivan geliehen hatte, kaufte er viel in Oak Park, einem wohlhabenden Vorort westlich der Innenstadt von Chicago, und baute sein erstes Haus Arbeitgeber, dass er "Mondschein" war und ihn aufgrund der Unternehmenspolitik entließ. Wright erholte sich, indem er seine eigene Firma eröffnete, zuerst im von Adler und Sullivan entworfenen Schiller-Gebäude, dann im Steinway-Gebäude und schließlich 1898 in einem Atelier in seinem Während seiner ersten acht Jahre als unabhängiger Architekt wurden 49 Gebäude nach Wrights Entwürfen gebaut, und während dieser Zeit begann er mit der Entwicklung des so genannten Prairie Style of Archite ktur, benannt nach einem Haus, das er für a . entworfen hat Damen Home Journal Artikel aus dem Jahr 1901. Seine Architekturentwürfe werden oft mit der Arts and Crafts Movement in Verbindung gebracht.Wright beschränkte sich nicht auf Architektur. In Bezug auf architektonische Innenräume sagte er, dass die "Realität eines Gebäudes nicht der Container, sondern der Raum darin ist". Der Einfluss von Wrights Entwürfen war so groß, dass Möbelhersteller auch heute noch Artikel auf deren Grundlage herstellen. 1909 verließ Wright seine Frau und reiste mit Margaret „Mamah“ Cheney, der Frau eines Nachbarn und Kunden, nach Deutschland. Er nannte das Haus "Taliesin", was auf Walisisch "glänzende Stirn" bedeutet. Wright teilte seine Zeit zwischen seinem Büro in Chicago und Taliesin auf, bis sein Koch am 15. August 1914 geistesgestört wurde, Taliesin in Brand steckte und Cheney, zwei von ihnen, ermordete ihre Kinder und zwei weitere Personen. Er beendete die Midway Garden-Kommission in Chicago und begann mit dem Wiederaufbau von Taliesin. Nach der Tragödie in Taliesin erhielt Wright ein Kondolenzschreiben von einer Bildhauerin namens Miriam Noel. Nach mehr als einem Jahrzehnt der Trennung endlich frei, heiratete er im November 1923 den geistig gestörten Noel, aber sie trennten sich im März 1924 und ließen sich 1928 scheiden. Während er noch mit Noel verheiratet war, hatte Wright die junge Jugoslawin Olga Milanoff Hinzenberg kennengelernt, die 33 Jahre jünger als er, verheiratet, aber getrennt, und Mutter einer kleinen Tochter Svetlana. Ungefähr drei Jahre später wurde das Paar offiziell verheiratet.Mit der Weltwirtschaftskrise wurden Architekturaufträge knapp. Das Ergebnis war Wrights Wohnmeisterwerk Fallingwater, das Haus, das über einem Wasserfall gebaut wurde. 1929 verbrachte Wright Zeit in Arizona, um an Projekten zu arbeiten. Wright und sein Stipendium konnten nun je nach Jahreszeit zwischen Arizona und Wisconsin wechseln. Das Alter hatte keinen offensichtlichen Einfluss auf die Produktivität von Wright. Nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg erhielt er Aufträge für 270 Häuser sowie für das Guggenheim Museum in New York City und das Marin County Civic Center in San Raphael, Kalifornien. Sein Leichnam wurde in Taliesin in der Nähe der Unity Chapel beigesetzt, die als sein erstes Gebäude gilt. Frank Lloyd Wright definierte die Architektur neu und beschleunigte das Ende der Jugendstilzeit. Form und Funktion sollten eins sein, verbunden in einer spirituellen Einheit.“


Notiz

Planen Sie Ihren Besuch im Voraus: Hydrat! Benutze Sonnencreme. Bringen Sie einen Hut und/oder einen Regenschirm für Schatten mit. Kleiden Sie sich für heißes Wetter.

Wenn Sie uns in naher Zukunft nicht besuchen können, können Sie unsere Mission noch heute unterstützen. Nachfolgend finden Sie drei Möglichkeiten, wie Sie die Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation unterstützen können.
Mitglied werden | Jetzt spenden | Shoppen Sie im Frank Lloyd Wright Store

Der wirbelnde Pfeil

Neuigkeiten und Updates der Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation


Geschichte von Taliesin

Für Informationen über Frank Lloyd Wright besuchen Sie bitte unsere Schwesterorganisation The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation.

Zu der großen walisischen Familie von Farmern, Lehrern und Ministern, die Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts einen Teil des Wisconsin River Valley in der Nähe von Spring Green besiedelte, gehörte eine junge Frau namens Anna Lloyd Jones. Dieser Lehrer fiel William Carey Wright auf, einem Prediger und Musiker. William gewann bald ihre Zuneigung und sie heirateten. Am 8. Juni 1867 gebar Anna in Richland Center, einer kleinen Stadt 20 Meilen westlich von Spring Green, einen Sohn namens Frank Lloyd Wright.

Wright verbrachte als Teenager viele Sommer auf der Farm, auf der sein Onkel James im Tal arbeitete. Wright betrachtete das Tal als sein Zuhause … viel mehr als das Haus in Madison, Wisconsin, wo er den Rest des Jahres verbrachte. Während seiner Sommer im Tal lernte er, den Mustern und Rhythmen der Natur besondere Aufmerksamkeit zu schenken. Die Lehren, die er aus der Natur lernte, fanden immer wieder Eingang in sein späteres Werk.

1886 EINHEITSKAPELLE

Unity Chapel ist eine Kapelle im Schindelstil, die vom Architekten Joseph Lyman Silsbee aus Chicago, IL, entworfen wurde. Wrights Onkel und unitarischer Pfarrer, Jenkin Lloyd Jones, gab die Kapelle in Auftrag und Frank Lloyd Wright entwarf das Interieur im Alter von 18 Jahren. Dies ist das früheste Werk von Unity Chapel Wright. Auf einem Familienfriedhof im Freien befinden sich die Grabstätten der Familie Lloyd Jones, darunter auch Wrights ursprüngliches Grundstück. Die Unity Chapel wird heute noch von der Familie Lloyd Jones betrieben. Das Äußere ist für die Öffentlichkeit zugänglich und Führungen durch die Innenräume sind auf Anfrage möglich.

1897 ROMEO UND JULIET WINDMÜHLE

Romeo und Julia Windmill wurde von Wrights Tanten beauftragt, Wasser für ihr koedukatives Internat zu pumpen, und Wright bot ihnen einen markanten Aussichtsturm aus Holz an. Das Design umfasst zwei sich kreuzende Türme, mit Romeo als dreieckigem Sturmbug, der von der achteckigen Julia getragen wird. Die aerodynamische Struktur lässt Sturmwinde um die Struktur herum passieren, ohne Schaden anzurichten. 1992 restaurierte Taliesin Preservation die Windmühle als erstes Projekt auf dem Taliesin-Anwesen in Zusammenarbeit mit der Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation vollständig.

1907 TAN-Y-DERI

Wright entwarf Tan-y-Deri als Wohnsitz für seine Schwester Jane Porter und ihre Familie. Die Porters arbeiteten für die Hillside Home School, nur bergab. Walisisch für „unter den Eichen“ liegt Tan-y-Deri auf einem Hügel neben Taliesin und neben der Romeo-und-Julia-Windmühle. Das Design basierte auf „A Fireproof House for $5000“ von Wright, der im Ladies Home Journal Artikel vorgestellt wurde. Tan-y-Deri wurde 2017 einer umfassenden Innen- und Außenrestaurierung unterzogen.

Wrights Wohn-, Atelier- und Gartenrefugium war ein Labor für Architektur und Design. In seinen drei Iterationen verkörpert Taliesin Wrights Ideen der organischen Architektur, erweitert und verfeinert von seinen früheren Arbeiten der Prairie School. Von den Höfen und Gärten bis hin zum Wohnzimmer, der Loggia und dem Birdwalk bietet Taliesin einen beeindruckenden Blick auf das Tal, das von Wrights walisischen Vorfahren besiedelt wurde. Taliesin besteht aus natürlichem Kalkstein und Sand aus dem Wisconsin River und steht als "leuchtende Stirn" auf Wrights beliebtem Jugendhügel.

1911 TALIESIN I

Wright zog in dieses Tal, zwei Jahre nachdem er sein 20-jähriges Architekturbüro in Oak Park, IL, verlassen hatte. Er wollte mit seiner Gefährtin Mamah Borthwick im Tal leben, arbeiten und bewirtschaften. Später schrieb er,

“Dieser Hügel, auf dem Taliesin heute als „Brauen“ steht, war in meiner Kindheit einer meiner Lieblingsorte, denn dort wuchsen Küchenschellen in der Märzsonne, während noch Schnee die Hänge streifte.…”

1914 zerstörte Brandstiftung die Wohnräume von Taliesin – ein Drittel des Hauses – und sieben wurden ermordet.

1914 TALIESIN II

Wright erklärte sofort, dass er den zerstörten Teil von Taliesin wieder aufbauen werde. In seiner Autobiografie schrieb Wright später: „Taliesin sollte leben, um mehr für sein Todesopfer zu zeigen als eine verkohlte und schreckliche Ruine auf einem einsamen Hügel im geliebten Tal.“ In Taliesin II fügte er einen Raum mit Steinboden namens The Loggia hinzu, von dem aus er die Familienkapelle sehen konnte.

1925 TALIESIN III

Im April 1925 zerstörte ein elektrischer Brand in Wrights Schlafzimmer erneut Taliesins Wohnräume. Wright – bis dahin mit der zukünftigen Mrs. Wright (Olgivanna) – schrieb: „Taliesin lebte, wo immer ich stand! Eine Gestalt kroch aus dem Schatten hervor, um mir dies zu sagen. Und ich habe geglaubt, was Olgivanna gesagt hat.“ Wie er schrieb,

[Unterrichtet durch den Bau von Taliesin I und II, machte ich vierzig Blätter mit Bleistiftstudien für den Bau von Taliesin III…. Taliesins strahlende Stirn … sollte hervortreten und wieder mit einer bisher unbekannten Gelassenheit erstrahlen.

1932 TALIESIN-STIFTUNG

Während der Weltwirtschaftskrise kamen Wright nur wenige Aufträge. Wright wandte sich jedoch nie untätig dem Schreiben und Produzieren zu Eine Autobiografie und Die verschwindende Stadt, die beide bis heute Generationen von Architekten beeinflussen. Während dieser Zeit erhielt Wright zahlreiche Briefe von Personen, die an einem Studium bei ihm interessiert waren.

1932 gründeten Frank und Olgivanna Lloyd Wright die Taliesin Fellowship, eine Gemeinschaft, die eine Architekturausbildung mit einem ganzheitlichen „learning by doing“-Ansatz ermöglichte, der Wertschätzung aller Künste betonte und den Studenten oft ermöglichte, Strukturen zu entwerfen und zu bearbeiten Taliesin-Eigenschaft. Die Gemeinde überlebt heute als Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture, deren Mitglieder, sowohl die Fakultät als auch die Auszubildenden, immer noch informell als Taliesin Fellowship bekannt sind und die während der Sommermonate in Taliesin wohnen.

Die Hillside Home School, das Gebäude, das Wright 1902 für das Internat seiner Tanten im Tal entworfen hatte, wurde zum zentralen Campus der Gemeinschaft. Mit der Inspiration und Hilfe einer jungen und eifrigen Gruppe von Lehrlingen hat Wright die Schule umgebaut und erweitert, ein 5.000 Quadratmeter großes Zeichenstudio hinzugefügt, die Turnhalle in ein Theater umgewandelt und Unterkünfte für die neuen Lehrlinge geschaffen.

1952 MITTLERER SCHEUNE

Midway Barn liegt zwischen Taliesin und Hillside School. Ab den 1940er Jahren diente es dem Landgut als Zentrum der Landwirtschaft. Midway wuchs, als der Betrieb im Laufe der Jahrzehnte erweitert wurde.

1955 HILLSIDE STUDIO & THEATER

Der Gebäudekomplex von Hillside umfasst Räume aus Wrights gesamter Karriere als Designer: das Zeichenstudio „Abstract Forest“ (1939), die Hillside Assembly Hall (1903), das Hillside Theatre (1955) und der Fellowship-Speisesaal (1955) . Hillside beherbergt die School of Architecture in Taliesin, und Studenten, die hier von Mitte Mai bis Mitte Oktober wohnen, können im Studio bei der Arbeit beobachtet werden. Die Assembly Hall ist ein Beispiel für Wrights Schritte zur „Zerstörung der Kiste“ des traditionellen Architekturdesigns. Das Hillside Theatre umfasst einen Theatervorhang, der einer von Wright entworfenen geometrischen Abstraktion der Taliesin-Landschaft angepasst wurde.

1967 DAS FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT BESUCHERZENTRUM

Wright entwarf die Riverview Terrace als „Tor zu Taliesin“, die ein Restaurant sowie Büros und Besprechungsräume für die Architekten von Taliesin beherbergen sollte. Der Bau begann unter Wrights Aufsicht und wurde nach Wrights Tod im Jahr 1959 ins Stocken geraten. 1967 wurde die Riverview Terrace als The Spring Green Restaurant als Teil einer Investition in die Entwicklung einer Kunstgemeinschaft in Spring Green entlang des Wisconsin River eröffnet. Taliesin Preservation kaufte das Gebäude 1993 und adaptierte es als Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center.

1990 TALIESIN-KONSERVIERUNG

Taliesin Preservation ist eine gemeinnützige Organisation, die auf Empfehlung einer 1988 von Gouverneur Tommy Thompson autorisierten Blue Ribbon Commission gegründet wurde. Taliesin Preservation restauriert und bewahrt Frank Lloyd Wrights Haus Taliesin und die zusätzlichen von Wright entworfenen Gebäude auf dem 800 Hektar großen Taliesin-Anwesen. Die Arbeiten umfassen die physische Erhaltung, Reparatur und Restaurierung von Möbeln und Materialien, die Aktualisierung von HLK-Systemen und gleichzeitig die Rückführung der Gebäude und des Anwesens in das letzte Jahrzehnt von Wrights Leben.

Bildnachweis: Chicago History Museum, ICHi89169, Raymond W. Trowbridge, Fotograf.


Geschichte

Frank Lloyd Wright, ein amerikanischer Architekt, Designer, Autor und Pädagoge, förderte die organische Architektur, die in seinem berühmtesten Werk Fallingwater am besten veranschaulicht wurde. Während seiner 70-jährigen Karriere entwarf Wright über 1.100 Gebäude (von denen über 500 realisiert wurden), verfasste zwanzig Bücher und zahlreiche Artikel und war bis zu seinem Tod ein beliebter Dozent in den Vereinigten Staaten und in Europa. Bereits zu Lebzeiten bekannt, gilt Wright heute als „größter amerikanischer Architekt aller Zeiten“.

Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Frank Lincoln Wright wurde am 8. Juni 1867 in Richland Center, Wisconsin, als Sohn von William Carey Wright, einem reisenden Musiklehrer, Komponisten und Baptistenpfarrer, und Anna Lloyd Jones Wright, einer Schullehrerin, geboren. Nach der Scheidung seiner Eltern im Jahr 1885 änderte Frank seinen zweiten Vornamen in Lloyd, um die Familie seiner Mutter zu ehren.

Obwohl seine ehrgeizige und willensstarke Mutter die Wände seines Kinderzimmers mit Bildern europäischer Kathedralen schmückte, war es nicht die von Menschenhand geschaffene Schönheit, die Wright anfangs faszinierte. Wright wuchs im ländlichen Wisconsin auf einem Grundstück auf, das ursprünglich von den walisischen Vorfahren seiner Mutter besiedelt wurde, und verbrachte seine Tage umgeben von – und sogar einem Teil – der sich verändernden Naturlandschaft. Ein Flickenteppich aus offenen Feldern, üppigen grünen Tälern und felsigen Bächen, die vom Wisconsin River gespeist werden, erwies sich alle als einflussreich bei der Bildung seiner späteren organischen Designphilosophie.

Wrights Familie lebte auf einem Bauernhof und seine Erfahrungen mit der Pflege von Tieren und der Ernte eines Lebens aus der Erde als Junge hinterließen einen unauslöschlichen Eindruck auf ihn, der ihn zeitlebens bewusst und vor allem unbewusst beeinflusste. In seiner Jugend verbrachte er viele Stunden damit, gezielt das subtile Verhalten des Sonnenlichts, die wechselnden Schatten der Dämmerung und den Wechsel der Jahreszeiten zu beobachten. Begeistert suchte er später große Denker auf, deren Überzeugungen seine bestätigten und schließlich verfeinerten, wie Thoreau, Emerson und Whitman.

Wrights Ehrfurcht vor der Natur wurde zum Eckpfeiler seiner bahnbrechenden Theorien der „organischen Architektur“ und prägte, definierte und bereicherte jedes Projekt, das er für den Rest seines Lebens anstrebte. Generationen würden Frank Lloyd Wright als Genie feiern … einen der größten Architekten, die je gelebt haben. Aber wie die sonnigen Felder, auf denen er als Kind spielte, würde auch sein Leben seine Schatten haben.

Es wurde festgestellt, dass Wrights Karriere gleichzeitig mit der Geburt und Entwicklung der modernen Architektur verlief. Er begann seine Karriere 1887 in Chicago, zunächst im Büro von Joseph Lyman Silsbee und dann bei der Firma Adler & Sullivan unter der Leitung des berühmten Architekten Louis Sullivan.

Als sich herausstellte, dass er um seine eigenen Aufträge bat, richtete er in seinem Haus in Oak Park eine Privatpraxis ein und fügte 1895 ein Zeichenstudio und einen Besucherempfangsraum hinzu. Dort perfektionierte er seinen charakteristischen Prairie-Stil, der offene Räume und flache, abfallende . betonte Dachlinien. Der Prairie-Stil, insbesondere Häuser wie das von Frederick C. Robie, war vor allem im Mittleren Westen äußerst einflussreich und gilt als Meilenstein in der Geschichte der modernen Architektur.

In den ersten Jahrzehnten des 20. Jahrhunderts wurde Frank Lloyd Wrights Produktivität an Intensität von der Faszination der Öffentlichkeit für sein Privatleben übertroffen. Eine hochkarätige Affäre mit einem Kunden, die daraus resultierende vielbeachtete Trennung von seiner Frau und ein einjähriger Aufenthalt durch Europa gipfelten in seiner Rückkehr in die Vereinigten Staaten im Jahr 1911 und dem Kauf eines Grundstücks in Wisconsin, wo er würde seinen berühmten Rückzugsort und Atelier Taliesin bauen.

Das Tal, das Taliesin umgibt, wurde ursprünglich während des Bürgerkriegs von Wrights Familie mütterlicherseits, den Lloyd Joneses, besiedelt. Walisische Einwanderer, Wrights Großvater mütterlicherseits und sein Onkel waren unitarische Geistliche, und seine beiden Tanten hatten die Hillside Home School gegründet, ein koedukatives Internat. Die Familie Lloyd Jones, ihre Ideen, Religion und Ideale, beeinflussten den jungen Wright stark, der das walisische Wort Taliesin wählte, was "leuchtende Stirn" bedeutet, für sein Heiligtum, das sich auf der "Bügel" eines bevorzugten Hügels befindet.

Nachfolgende sensationelle Ereignisse in Taliesin beinhalteten die Ermordung von sieben Menschen, darunter auch Wrights damaliger Geliebter, durch Brandstiftung im Jahr 1914. Zeitgleich mit dem Zusammenbruch seiner zweiten Ehe in den 1920er Jahren, einem zweiten verheerenden Brand in Taliesin im Jahr 1925 und dem Beginn der Weltwirtschaftskrise, Wrights Karriere war mit einem Verlust von Provisionen konfrontiert. Was als Zufluchtsort vor der öffentlichen Kontrolle gedacht war, entwickelte sich bald zu einem experimentellen Architekturlehrprogramm, als Taliesin langsam die ehemaligen Gebäude der Hillside Home School umfasste, als Wright 1932 mit seiner dritten Frau Olgivanna die Taliesin Fellowship gründete.

Wright nutzte das Stipendium, um seine Ideen der organischen Architektur zu erforschen und umzusetzen. Taliesin war von Unglück geplagt, aber dort nahm auch die Entstehung von Fallingwater Gestalt an. Mit seiner außergewöhnlichen Landschaft in Wisconsin und seiner romantischen Beziehung zur Natur signalisierte Taliesin eine Reife, die nur wenige Jahre später unter den Rhododendron im ländlichen Südwesten Pennsylvanias voll aufblühen würde.

1934 kehrte Edgar Kaufmann jr. wurde durch Zufall in die einzigartigen Konzepte von Frank Lloyd Wright eingeführt. Ein Freund hatte ihm vorgeschlagen zu lesen Eine Autobiografie, Wrights Lebensbericht von 1932, in dem der 65-jährige Architekt über seine Erziehung, seine Gebäude und die etwas radikalen Ideen äußerte, die zu seinem Ruf als farbenfrohes Genie und Erneuerer des „organischen“ Ansatzes für modernes Architekturdesign führten und Bau. Sofort von Wrights Überzeugung gefesselt, dass die Kunst eine humane und edle Aufgabe hat, dem Menschen im Einklang mit seiner natürlichen Umgebung zu dienen, spürte Kaufmann, wie die Worte des Architekten „in meinen Kopf flossen wie das erste Rinnsal einer Bewässerung in einem Wüstenland“. Er besuchte Wright im September 1934 in Taliesin und hatte im Oktober seinen Platz unter den dortigen Lehrlingen eingenommen.

Obwohl er nicht vorhatte, Architekt zu werden, begann der junge Kaufmann auch mit seinen Eltern begeistert über Wrights Ideen zu diskutieren. Nach einem Besuch in Taliesin im Jahr 1934 begann Edgar Kaufmann sen. eine beiläufige Korrespondenz mit dem Architekten über mehrere potenzielle Bürgerprojekte in Pittsburgh. Kaufmann erkannte schnell ihre gemeinsame Leidenschaft für neue Ideen, ästhetische Schönheit und die Beziehung zwischen Mensch und Natur und Wright fand einen Mäzen, der sein Leben, seine Karriere und die moderne Architektur selbst verändern sollte.


Frank Lloyd Wright und Cloquet: Eine historische Verbindung

Frank Lloyd Wright, geboren im Juni 1867, verbrachte über 70 Jahre damit, national anerkannte Bauwerke zu entwerfen, die die Architektur weiterhin beeinflusst haben. Er verbrachte sein Leben damit, die Welt zu bereisen – zu lernen, zu lehren und zu gestalten.

Was hat den gefeierten Architekten dazu bewogen, Cloquet als Zuhause für nicht einen, sondern gleich zwei seiner Entwürfe auszuwählen? Die Antwort ist einfacher, als viele denken, und alles begann mit zwei College-Studenten.

In den frühen 1950er Jahren suchte der in Cloquet ansässige und Geschäftsinhaber Ray Lindholm sein ideales Zuhause irgendwo in der näheren Umgebung. Lindholm gründete 1939 die Lindholm Oil Company und verfolgte das neue Ziel, ein Haus für sich und seine Frau Emmy zu bauen.

Zu diesem Zeitpunkt ermutigten ihn seine Tochter im College-Alter Joyce Mckinney und ihr Ehemann Daryl Mckinney, Wright für das Projekt einzustellen. Sie hatten Wrights Arbeit während ihres Studiums an der University of Minnesota bewundert und dachten, er würde gut passen.

Die Familie reiste bald zu Wrights Haus in Spring Green, Wisconsin, und beauftragte seine Hilfe.

Joyce Mckinney sagte dem Pine Journal 2008 in einem Interview, dass Wright bereit sei, den Hausplan sofort zu entwerfen.

"Er war sehr zugänglich, und ich glaube auch nicht, dass er sehr beschäftigt ist", sagte sie.

Wright übernahm während seines Lebens oft kleinere Projekte und entwarf über 400 Häuser in den USA.

„Halten Sie den Bau eines Hühnerstalls für genauso wünschenswert wie den Bau einer Kathedrale“, sagte er einmal zu studierenden Architekten.

Nach seiner Fertigstellung im Jahr 1952 erstreckte sich das Lindholm House auf einer Fläche von etwa 2.300 Quadratmetern in einem einst stark bewaldeten Gebiet von Cloquet.

Das Haus erhielt den Namen Mäntylä – Finnisch für „Haus unter den Kiefern“ – und blieb bis 2016 in Cloquet, als es von den damaligen Besitzern Peter und Julene Mckinney an die Usonian Preservation in Acme, Pennsylvania, gespendet wurde.

Die Beziehung endete jedoch nicht mit der Fertigstellung des Hauses. Während Ray Lindholm von einem Eigenheim träumte, träumte Wright von einer Tankstelle.

Wright arbeitete seit den 1920er Jahren an Entwürfen für Tankstellen und glaubte, dass sie ein entscheidendes Stück in seinem utopischen Stadtplan „Broadacre City“ waren.

„Die Tankstelle am Straßenrand könnte im Embryo das zukünftige Verteilerzentrum der Stadt sein“, schrieb Wright in seiner Biografie.

Leider war keiner seiner Entwürfe für die Stationen verwirklicht worden, und Wright stand kurz vor dem Ende seiner Karriere.

Als er erfuhr, dass die Familie Lindholm eine Ölgesellschaft besaß, ergriff er die Gelegenheit, eines seiner Tankstellendesigns zum Leben zu erwecken.

„Im Grunde hat Wright meinen Großvater davon überzeugt, ihn das Projekt machen zu lassen“, sagte Lindholms Enkel Mike Mckinney 2009 dem Pine Journal.

Wright basierte den Entwurf auf einigen seiner früheren Pläne, mit einigen geringfügigen Änderungen, die im Lichte der örtlichen Brandschutzvorschriften vorgenommen wurden.

Er wollte, dass es sich von anderen Tankstellen abhebt, und stattete es mit einem 12-Fuß-Kupferdach und einer Lounge aus, in der die Gäste warten konnten, während ihre Fahrzeuge repariert wurden.

Es kostete etwa 75.000 US-Dollar, um zu entwerfen und zu bauen, verglichen mit den üblichen 25.000 US-Dollar, aber Joyce Mckinney sagte der Duluth News Tribune, dass ihr Vater vor dem Preis nicht zurückschreckte.

Am Ende war das Design einzigartig und aufmerksamkeitsstark, aber nicht praktikabel, so der ehemalige Manager Donald Lynch.

"Es ist bedauerlich, dass Frank Lloyd Wright bei seiner Gestaltung nichts über Tankstellen wusste", sagte Lynch 1982 der Duluth News Tribune und zitierte ein beengtes Verkaufsbüro und unzugängliche Badezimmer.

Wright entwarf sowohl das Lindholm-Haus als auch die Tankstelle, ohne die Gegend jemals zu besuchen. Er benutzte topografische Karten, um seine Pläne zu skizzieren, und schickte seinen Lehrling Robert Pond, um den Bau der Tankstelle zu überwachen.

Obwohl Wright Cloquet nie betreten hat, scheint es, dass die Familien Lindholm und Mckinney ständig mit dem Architekten in Kontakt standen.

Neben dem Besuch seines Hauses in Wisconsin reiste die Familie auch nach Arizona, um Wright zu besuchen, der ein zweites Zuhause für die Familie entwarf, das jedoch nie gebaut wurde.

Während viele Wright als egomanisch beschrieben, sagte Joyce Mckinney der Duluth News Tribune, dass er „süß“ sei .

Joyce Mckinney sagte der News Tribune, dass Wright das Foto hasste und das Original zerrissen hatte, und sagte, dass es ihn alt aussehen ließ. Zum Glück hatte sie noch eine Kopie angefertigt, die die Familie heute noch besitzt.

Die R.W. Lindholm Station wurde 1958 feierlich eröffnet. Wright starb fünf Monate später, nachdem er sein letztes Karriereziel erreicht hatte.

Obwohl sie nicht mehr im Besitz der ursprünglichen Familie ist, wurde die Tankstelle als Frank Lloyd Wright Tankstelle bekannt und wurde 1985 durch das National Register of Historical Places registriert.

2008 erklärte der damalige Bürgermeister Bruce Ahlgren den 7. August in Cloquet zum Frank Lloyd Wright Day.


Der Triumph von Frank Lloyd Wright

Das ikonischste Gebäude von Frank Lloyd Wright war auch eines seiner letzten. The reinforced-concrete spiral known as the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum opened in New York City 50 years ago, on October 21, 1959 six months before, Wright died at the age of 92. He had devoted 16 years to the project, facing down opposition from a budget-conscious client, building-code sticklers and, most significantly, artists who doubted that paintings could be displayed properly on a slanting spiral ramp. "No, it is not to subjugate the paintings to the building that I conceived this plan," Wright wrote to Harry Guggenheim, a Thoroughbred horse breeder and founder of Newsday who, as the benefactor's nephew, took over the project after Solomon's death. "On the contrary, it was to make the building and the painting a beautiful symphony such as never existed in the world of Art before."

From This Story

Video: Constructing the Guggenheim

The grandiloquent tone and unwavering self-assurance are as much Wright trademarks as the building's unbroken and open space. Time has indeed shown the Guggenheim's tilted walls and continuous ramp to be an awkward place to hang paintings, yet the years have also confirmed that in designing a building that bestowed brand-name recognition on a museum, Wright was prophetic. Four decades later, Frank Gehry's Guggenheim Bilbao—the curvaceous, titanium-clad affiliated museum in northern Spain—would launch a wave of cutting-edge architectural schemes for art institutions across the globe. But Wright was there first. A retrospective exhibition at the original Guggenheim (until August 23) reveals how often Wright pioneered trends that other architects would later embrace. Passive solar heating, open-plan offices, multi-storied hotel atriums—all are now common, but at the time Wright designed them they were revolutionary.

When Solomon Guggenheim, the heir to a mining fortune, and his art adviser, Hilla Rebay, decided to construct a museum for abstract painting (which they called "non-objective art"), Wright was a natural choice as architect. In Rebay's words, the two were seeking "a temple of spirit, a monument" and Wright, through his long career, was a builder of temples and monuments. These included actual places of worship, such as Unity Temple (1905-8) for a Unitarian congregation in Oak Park, Illinois, one of the early masterpieces that proclaimed Wright's genius, and Beth Sholom Synagogue (1953-59) in Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, which, like the Guggenheim, he supervised at the end of his life. But in everything he undertook, the goal of enhancing and elevating the human experience was always on Wright's mind. In his religious buildings, he used many of the same devices—bold geometric forms, uninterrupted public spaces and oblique-angled seating—as in his secular ones. The large communal room with overhead lighting that is the centerpiece of Unity Temple was an idea he had introduced in the Larkin Company Administration Building (1902-6), a mail-order house in Buffalo, New York. And before it reappeared in Beth Sholom, what he called "reflex-angle seating"—in which the audience fanned out at 30-degree angles around a projecting stage—was an organizing principle in his theater plans, starting in the early 1930s. To Wright's way of thinking, any building, if properly designed, could be a temple.

In his unshakable optimism, messianic zeal and pragmatic resilience, Wright was quintessentially American. A central theme that pervades his architecture is a recurrent question in American culture: How do you balance the need for individual privacy with the attraction of community activity? Everyone craves periods of solitude, but in Wright's view, a human being develops fully only as a social creature. In that context, angled seating allowed audience members to concentrate on the stage and simultaneously function as part of the larger group. Similarly, a Wright house contained, along with private bedrooms and baths, an emphasis on unbroken communal spaces—a living room that flowed into a kitchen, for example—unknown in domestic residences when he began his practice in the Victorian era. As early as 1903, given the opportunity to lay out a neighborhood (in Oak Park, which was never built), Wright proposed a "quadruple block plan" that placed an identical brick house on each corner of a block he shielded the inhabitants from the public street with a low wall and oriented them inward toward connected gardens that encouraged exchanges with their neighbors. Good architecture, Wright wrote in a 1908 essay, should promote the democratic ideal of "the highest possible expression of the individual as a unit not inconsistent with a harmonious whole."

That vision animates the Guggenheim Museum. In the course of descending the building's spiral ramp, a visitor can focus on works of art without losing awareness of other museumgoers above and below. To that bifocal consciousness, the Guggenheim adds a novel element: a sense of passing time. "The strange thing about the ramp—I always feel I am in a space-time continuum, because I see where I've been and where I'm going," says Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer, director of the Frank Lloyd Wright Archives in Scottsdale, Arizona. As Wright approached the end of his life, that perception of continuity—recalling where he had been while advancing into the future—must have appealed to him. And, looking back, he would have seen telling examples in his personal history of the tension between the individual and the community, between private desires and social expectations.

Wright's father, William, was a restless, chronically dissatisfied Protestant minister and organist who moved the family, which included Wright's two younger sisters, from town to town until he obtained a divorce in 1885 and took off for good. Wright, who was 17 at the time, never saw his father again. His mother's family, the combative Lloyd Joneses, were Welsh immigrants who became prominent citizens of an agricultural valley near the village of Hillside, Wisconsin. Wright himself might have written the family motto: "Truth Against the World." Encouraged by his maternal relatives, Wright showed an early aptitude for architecture he made his initial forays into building design by working on a chapel, a school and two houses in Hillside, before apprenticing in Chicago with the celebrated architect Louis H. Sullivan. Sullivan's specialty was office buildings, including classic skyscrapers, such as the Carson Pirie Scott & Company building, which were transforming the Chicago skyline.

But Wright devoted himself primarily to private residences, developing what he called "Prairie Style" houses, mostly in Oak Park, the Chicago suburb in which he established his own home. Low-slung, earth-hugging buildings with strong horizontal lines and open circulation through the public rooms, they were stripped clean of unnecessary decoration and used machine-made components. The Prairie Style revolutionized home design by responding to the domestic needs and tastes of modern families. Wright had firsthand knowledge of their requirements: in 1889, at 21, he had married Catherine Lee Tobin, 18, the daughter of a Chicago businessman, and, in short order, fathered six children.

Like his own father, however, Wright exhibited a deep ambivalence toward family life. "I hated the sound of the word papa," he wrote in his 1932 autobiography. Dissatisfaction with domesticity predisposed him toward a similarly discontented Oak Park neighbor: Mamah Cheney, a client's wife, whose career as head librarian in Port Huron, Michigan, had been thwarted by marriage and who found the duties of wife and mother a poor substitute. The Wrights and Cheneys socialized as a foursome, until, as Wright later described it, "the thing happened that has happened to men and women since time began—the inevitable." In June 1909, Mamah Cheney told her husband that she was leaving him she joined Wright in Germany, where he was preparing a book on his work. The scandal titillated newspapers—the Chicago-Tribüne quoted Catherine as saying she had been the victim of a "vampire" seductress. Wright was painfully conflicted about walking out on his wife and children. He attempted a reconciliation with Catherine in 1910, but then resolved to live with Cheney, whose own work—a translation of the writings of Swedish feminist Ellen Key—provided intellectual support for this convention-defying step. Leaving the Oak Park gossipmongers behind, the couple retreated to the Wisconsin valley of the Lloyd Joneses to start anew.

Just below the crest of a hill in Spring Green, Wright designed a secluded house he called "Taliesin," or "shining brow," after a Welsh bard of that name. A rambling dwelling made of local limestone, Taliesin was the culmination of the Prairie Style, a big house with long roofs extending over the walls. By all accounts, Wright and Cheney lived there happily for three years, slowly winning over neighbors who had been prejudiced by the publicity that preceded them—until Taliesin became the setting for the greatest tragedy of the architect's long and eventful life. On August 15, 1914, while Wright was in Chicago on business, a deranged young cook locked the dining room and set it ablaze, standing with a hatchet at the only exit to bar all inside from leaving. Cheney and her two visiting children were among the seven who died. On the anguished journey to Wisconsin, a devastated Wright and his son John shared a train car with Cheney's former husband. Wright immediately vowed to rebuild the house, which was mostly in ruins. But he never fully recovered emotionally. "Something in him died with her, something loveable and gentle," his son later wrote in a memoir. (In April 1925, as the result of defective wiring, the second Taliesin also suffered a calamitous fire it would be replaced by a third.)

Wright's domestic life took another turn when a condolence letter from a wealthy divorcée, the determinedly artistic Miriam Noel, led to a meeting and—less than six months after Cheney's death—to an invitation for Noel to come live with Wright at Taliesin. With her financial help, he reconstructed the damaged house. But Taliesin II did not become the sanctuary he sought. Wright was a theatrical personality, with a penchant for flowing hair, Norfolk jackets and low-hanging neckties. Yet even by his standards, the needy Noel was flamboyantly attention-seeking. Jealous of his devotion to Cheney's memory, she staged noisy altercations, leading to an angry separation only nine months after they met. Although the split appeared to be final, in November 1922, Wright obtained a divorce from Catherine and married Noel a year later. But wedlock only exacerbated their problems. Five months after the wedding, Noel left him, opening an exchange of ugly accusations and countercharges in a divorce proceeding that would drag on for years.

During this tempestuous period, Wright had worked on just a few major projects: the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo, the Midway Gardens pleasure park in Chicago, and Taliesin. All three were expansions and refinements of work he had done previously rather than new directions. From 1915 to 1925, Wright executed only 29 commissions, a drastic drop-off from the output of his youth when, between 1901 and 1909, he built 90 of 135 commissions. In 1932, in their influential Museum of Modern Art exhibition on the "International Style" in architecture, Philip Johnson and Henry-Russell Hitchcock listed Wright among the "older generation" of architects. Indeed, by this time Wright had been a force in American architecture for more than three decades and was devoting most of his time to giving lectures and publishing essays it was easy to believe that his best years were behind him. But in fact, many of his most heralded works were still to come.

On November 30, 1924, attending a ballet in Chicago, Wright had noticed a young woman seated next to him. "I secretly observed her aristocratic bearing, no hat, her dark hair parted in the middle and smoothed over her ears, a light small shawl over her shoulders, little or no makeup, very simply dressed," he wrote in his autobiography. Wright "instantly liked her looks." For her part, 26-year-old Olgivanna Lazovich Hinzenberg, a Montenegrin educated in Russia, had come to Chicago to try to salvage her marriage to a Russian architect, with whom she had had a daughter, Svetlana. Even before taking her seat, she would recall in an unpublished memoir, she had noticed "a strikingly handsome, noble head with a crown of wavy grey hair." Upon discovering that the ticket she had purchased at the last minute seated her next to this poetic-looking man, her "heart beat fast." During the performance, he turned to her and said, "Don't you think that these dancers and the dances are dead?" She nodded in agreement. "And he smiled, looking at me with unconcealed admiration," she recalled. "I knew then that this was to be." In February 1925, Hinzenberg moved into Taliesin II, where they both waited for their divorces to become final. On the very night in 1925 that Taliesin II burned, she told him that she was pregnant with their child, a daughter they would name Iovanna. They wed on August 25, 1928, and lived together for the rest of Wright's life. The rebuilt Taliesin III would be home to Svetlana and Iovanna—and, in a broader sense, to a community of students and young architects that, beginning in 1932, the Wrights invited to come live and work with them as the Taliesin Fellowship. After Wright suffered a spell of pneumonia in 1936, the community expanded to a wintertime settlement he designed in Scottsdale, Arizona, on the outskirts of Phoenix. He dubbed it Taliesin West.

In the last quarter-century of his life, Wright pushed his ideas as far as he could. The cantilevering that he had employed for the exaggeratedly horizontal roofs of the Prairie Style houses assumed a new grandeur in Fallingwater (1934-37), the country house for Pittsburgh department-store owner Edgar Kaufmann Sr., which Wright composed of broad planes of concrete terraces and flat roofs, and—in a stroke of panache—he perched over a waterfall in western Pennsylvania. (Like many Wright buildings, Fallingwater has better stood the test of time aesthetically than physically. It required an $11.5 million renovation, completed in 2003, to correct its sagging cantilevers, leaking roofs and terraces, and interior mildew infestation.) While designing Fallingwater, Wright also transformed the skylit open clerical space of the early Larkin Building into the Great Workroom of the Johnson Wax Company Administration Building (1936) in Racine, Wisconsin, with its graceful columns that, modeled on lily pads, spread to support disks with overhead skylights of Pyrex glass tubing.

Wright's ambition to elevate American society through architecture grew exponentially from the quadruple block plan in Oak Park to the scheme for Broadacre City—a proposal in the 1930s for a sprawling, low-rise development that would roll out a patchwork of houses, farms and businesses, connected by highways and monorails, across the American landscape. His desire to provide affordable, individualized homes that met the needs of middle-class Americans found its ultimate expression in the "Usonian" houses he introduced in 1937 and continued to develop afterward: customizable homes that were positioned on their sites to capture winter sun for passive solar heating and outfitted with eaves to provide summer shade constructed with glass, brick and wood that made surface decoration such as paint or wallpaper superfluous lit by clerestory windows beneath the roofline and by built-in electric fixtures shielded from the street to afford privacy and supplemented with an open carport, in deference to the means of transportation that could ultimately decentralize cities. "I don't build a house without predicting the end of the present social order," Wright said in 1938. "Every building is a missionary."

His use of "missionary" was revealing. Wright said that his architecture always aimed to serve the client's needs. But he relied on his own assessment of those needs. Speaking of residential clients, he once said, "It's their duty to understand, to appreciate, and conform insofar as possible to the idea of the house." Toward the end of his life, he constructed his second and last skyscraper, the 19-story H. C. Price Company Office Tower (1952-56) in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. After it was completed, Wright appeared with his client at a convocation in town. "A person in the audience asked the question, ‘What's your first prerequisite?'" archivist Pfeiffer recalled. "Mr. Wright said, ‘Well, to fulfill a client's wishes.' To which Price said, ‘I wanted a three-story building.' Mr. Wright said, ‘You didn't know what you wanted.'"

In developing the Guggenheim Museum, Wright exercised his usual latitude in interpreting the client's wishes as well as his equally typical flair for high-flown comparisons. He described the form he came up with as an "inverted ziggurat," which nicely linked it to the temples in the Mesopotamian Cradle of Civilization. In fact, the Guggenheim traced its immediate lineage to an unbuilt Wright project that the architect based on the typology of a parking garage—a spiral ramp he designed in 1924 for the mountaintop Gordon Strong Automobile Objective and Planetarium. Wright envisioned visitors driving their cars up an exterior ramp and handing them over to valets for conveyance to the bottom. They could then walk down a pedestrian ramp, admiring the landscape before reaching the planetarium at ground level. "I have found it hard to look a snail in the face since I stole the idea of his house—from his back," Wright wrote to Strong, after the Chicago businessman expressed dissatisfaction with the plans. "The spiral is so natural and organic a form for whatever would ascend that I did not see why it should not be played upon and made equally available for descent at one and the same time." Yet Wright also admitted admiration for the industrial designs of Albert Kahn—a Detroit-based architect whose reinforced-concrete, ramped parking garages foreshadowed both the Strong Automobile Objective and the Guggenheim.

In the long negotiations over costs and safety-code stipulations that protracted the construction of the museum, Wright was forced to compromise. "Architecture, may it please the court, is the welding of imagination and common sense into a restraint upon specialists, codes and fools," he wrote in a draft cover letter for an application to the Board of Standards and Appeals. (At the urging of Harry Guggenheim, he omitted the word "fools.") One sacrificed feature was an unconventional glass elevator that would have whisked visitors to the summit, from which they would then descend on foot. Instead, the museum has had to get by with a prosaic elevator far too small to cope with the attending crowds as a result, most visitors survey an exhibition while ascending the ramp. Curators typically arrange their shows with that in mind. "You cannot get enough people into that tiny elevator," says David van der Leer, an assistant curator of architecture and design, who worked on the Wright exhibition. "The building is so much more heavily trafficked these days that you would need an elevator in the central void to do that."

Installation of the Wright retrospective brought into high relief the discrepancies between the building's symbolic power and its functional capabilities. For instance, to display Wright's drawings—an unparalleled assortment, which for conservation reasons will not be on view again for at least a decade—the curators placed a mesh fabric "shower cap" on the overhead dome to weaken the light, which otherwise would cause the colors on the paper drawings to fade. "On the one hand, you want to display the building as well as possible, and on the other, you need to show the drawings," van der Leer explains.

The Guggenheim emerged last year from a $28 mil­lion, four-year restoration, during which cracks and water damage in the concrete were patched, and the peeling exterior paint (10 to 12 layers' worth) was removed and replaced. Wright buildings are notorious for their maintenance difficulties. During Wright's lifetime, the problems were aggravated by the architect's expressed indifference. One famous story recounts an outraged phone call made by Herbert Johnson, an important Wright client, to report that at a dinner party in his new house, water from a leaky roof was dripping on his head. Wright suggested he move his chair.

Still, when you consider that in many projects the architect designed every element, down to the furniture and light fixtures, his bloopers are understandable. Proudly describing the Larkin Building, Wright said, many years after it opened, "I was a real Leonardo da Vinci when I built that building, everything in it was my invention." Because he was constantly pushing the latest technologies to their utmost, Wright probably resigned himself to the inevitable shortfalls that accompany experimentation. "Wright remained throughout his life the romantic he had been since childhood," historian William Cronon wrote in 1994. "As such, he brought a romantic's vision and a romantic's scale of values to the practical challenges of his life." If the architect seemed not to take the glitches in his built projects too seriously, it may be that his mind was elsewhere. "Every time I go into that building, it is such an uplifting of the human spirit," says Pfeiffer, who probably is the best living guide to Wright's thinking about the Guggenheim. The museum is often said by architectural critics to constitute the apotheosis of Wright's lifelong desire to make space fluid and continuous. But it represents something else as well. By inverting the ziggurat so that the top keeps getting wider, Wright said he was inventing a form of "pure optimism." Even in his 90s, he kept his mind open to expanding possibilities.

Arthur Lubow wrote about the 17th-century Italian sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini in the October 2008 issue.


Prairie School Architecture

A year later, Wright began an apprenticeship with the Chicago architectural firm of Adler and Sullivan, working directly under Louis Sullivan, the great American architect best known as "the father of skyscrapers." Sullivan, who rejected ornate European styles in favor of a cleaner aesthetic summed up by his maxim "form follows function," had a profound influence on Wright, who would eventually carry Sullivan&aposs dream of defining a uniquely American style of architecture to completion. Wright worked for Sullivan until 1893 when he breached their contract by accepting private commissions to design homes and the two parted ways.

In 1889, a year after he began working for Louis Sullivan, the 22-year-old Wright married a 19-year-old woman named Catherine Tobin, and they eventually had six children together. Their home in the Oak Park suburb of Chicago, now known as the Frank Lloyd Wright home and studio, is considered his first architectural masterpiece. It was there that Wright established his own architectural practice upon leaving Adler and Sullivan in 1893. That same year, he designed the Winslow House in River Forest, which with its horizontal emphasis and expansive, open interior spaces is the first example of Wright&aposs revolutionary style, later dubbed "organic architecture."

Over the next several years, Wright designed a series of residences and public buildings that became known as the leading examples of the "Prairie School" of architecture. These were single-story homes with low, pitched roofs and long rows of casement windows, employing only locally available materials and wood that was always unstained and unpainted, emphasizing its natural beauty. Wright&aposs most celebrated "Prairie School" buildings include the Robie House in Chicago and the Unity Temple in Oak Park. While such works made Wright a celebrity and his work became the subject of much acclaim in Europe, he remained relatively unknown outside of architectural circles in the United States.


Frank Lloyd Wright - History

***COVID-19 UPDATE***DOCENT LED TOURS ONLY - LIMITED NUMBER OF TICKETS PER TOUR - RESERVATIONS REQUIRED

Commissioned in 1916 and completed in 1918, Frank Lloyd Wright's Allen House is named after its first owners, newspaper publisher Henry Allen and his wife, Elsie. It was the last of the architect's famous prairie houses, which emphasized horizontal lines, earth tones and a continuous blending of interiors with exteriors.

Architectural writers who have visited the house believe its living room is "one of the great rooms of the 20th century". The home features more than 30 pieces of Wright-designed furniture, all of its original art glass and several new-for-their-time innovations, such as wall-hung water closets and an attached garage. Restored back to 1918, the house exemplifies Frank Lloyd Wright's philosophy of living in harmony with nature. The house was pivotal in the movement to the Usonian designs of 1935. Interior furnishings manufactured by Niedecken Walbridge represent the last of twelve collaborations. The Allen House is considered by many visitors "the house of choice to live in!"

Visit the site that USA Today considers one of the "10 great Frank Lloyd Wright home tours" in the nation. The Allen House is located in the historic College Hill neighborhood, 255 N. Roosevelt, Wichita, KS.


Frank Lloyd Wright - History

GESCHICHTE
Frank Lloyd Wright
Seth Peterson
The Seth Peterson Cottage
The Rehabilitation
Early Years and the Future
Frank Lloyd Wright

At the time Seth Peterson approached Wright to design the Cottage, the architect was nearing ninety years old, in the seventh decade of the most creative and innovative architectural practice in American history.

Frank Lloyd Wright is a native son of Wisconsin. Born in Richland Center on June 8, 1867, he always regarded Wisconsin as his home. After early years in Madison and Spring Green, he ventured to Chicago in 1887, where he developed his revolutionary ideas and created a thriving practice in the prosperous suburb of Oak Park. In 1911, he returned to Wisconsin, taking a farm near Spring Green and turning it into a laboratory where he developed and built his ideas for more than fifty years.

These ideas and ideals spread from the Midwest throughout the United States, then worldwide, and have entered the very fabric of our American culture.

In the late 1950’s, Wright was the center of an astonishingly successful architectural practice, and was involved in such major projects as the Guggenheim Museum in New York City, the Marin County Civic Center near San Francisco, and the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church near Milwaukee. In addition, he was designing many private homes.

The 1958 Seth Peterson Cottage is Wright’s last Wisconsin building. Wright died in April, 1959, before Cottage construction was completed.

After a tour in the Army, Peterson returned to his hometown and took a job as one of state government’s first computer operators. He retained his dream of working with Wright, though, and on several occasions he asked the master to design a home for him. Wright refused because of the press of other work, but eventually Peterson sent Wright a retainer, which Wright promptly spent. So he was finally obligated to design Peterson’s dream house.

Peterson had purchased a piece of property on quiet Mirror Lake, near Wisconsin Dells, and it was for this dramatic wooded site that he asked Wright to design a small house just big enough for Peterson and his intended bride.

Inside the cottage, the soaring roof is offset by the lower stonewalled enclosure of the east side, a cozy retreat centered on the fireplace. In the bedroom a ribbon of narrow windows just beneath the roof provides a wash of light offering shelter and privacy.

Only one element of applied decoration marks this elegant and simple cottage: a frieze of stylized pine trees cut from plywood and set into a narrow row of windows above the main living room windows.

Rehabilitation of the Seth Peterson Cottage took more than three years. The Seth Peterson Cottage Conservancy hired architect John Eifler, who was experienced in restoring Wright buildings, to direct the project.

When rehabilitation work began in 1989, the boarded-up building was in total disrepair. Water damage had destroyed the flat roof over the bedroom as well as part of the sloped living room roof. The heating, electrical and plumbing systems were completely deteriorated. Kitchen, bedroom and bathroom cabinets and fixtures were either missing or too badly damaged to salvage and windows and door frames were in disrepair. Much of the glass was broken or missing. The sandstone walls and flagstone floor were the only portions of the building still in good condition. Volunteers removed and sanded salvageable woodwork. Wisconsin Conservation Corps crews removed and numbered each floor flagstone, following a detailed floor diagram. Crews also removed the old hot air heating ducts, the furnace and the concrete slab under the flagstone floor.

Rehabilitation continued with replacement of the roof, installation of new electrical and plumbing systems, and a new well and septic system. Woodwork was refinished or replaced, new custom-made windows were installed, and the flagstone floor was re-laid over the new concrete slab in which the pipes for the hot water radiant heating system are embedded. Wright’s original design called for this type of heating system, but was not installed for cost reasons as part of the original construction.

Kitchen, bedroom and bathroom cabinets and shelves were rebuilt using the ruined units as models, and the furniture Wright designed for the house was finally built. To fully furnish the cottage for rental purposes, John Eifler designed additional furniture pieces to complement Wright’s design.

The past twenty years have also seen significant improvements made to the Cottage and environs. Architect John Eifler designed a complementary storage shed, and board member Paul Wagner designed a shed to store all the firewood culled from Mirror Lake State Park. To enable guests to take full advantage of Mirror Lake, a dock was built and a canoe was donated.

Other improvements included the attractive red entrance gate designed by Bill Martinelli, new outdoor lighting, and extensive landscaping. In 2005 air conditioning was installed for the comfort of our rental guests. In 2006 a mini rehab was completed with the furniture being repaired and refinished, all upholstery replaced, interior and exterior woodwork refinished, and repairs to the radiant floor. In 2008 the cedar shingles and the fire brick in the fireplace were replaced. In 2009 a high efficiency, on demand boiler was installed and in 2011 the cedar shingles on the shed were replaced and a new cooktop installed in the Cottage.

In the past two decades, the Cottage has received more than 10,000 overnight guests from most states and many foreign countries. Our monthly tours now attract more than a thousand visitors a year. The Cottage is kept in the public eye through many feature articles, including those that have appeared in Architectural Digest, The New York Times, and the Chicago Tribune.


Inhalt

Ancestry [ edit | Quelle bearbeiten]

Frank Lloyd Wright was born Frank Lincoln Wright in the farming town of Richland Center, Wisconsin, United States, in 1867. His father, William Cary Wright (1825–1904), ΐ] was an orator, music teacher, occasional lawyer, and itinerant minister. Wright's mother, Anna Lloyd Jones (1838/39 – 1923), met William Cary Wright while working as a county school teacher when William was the superintendent of schools for Richland County.

Originally from Massachusetts, William Wright had been a Baptist minister, but he later joined his wife's family in the Unitarian faith. Anna was a member of the well-known Lloyd Jones family who had emigrated from Wales to Spring Green, Wisconsin. One of Anna's brothers was Jenkin Lloyd Jones, an important figure in the spread of the Unitarian faith in the Midwest. Both of Wright's parents were strong-willed individuals with artistic interests that they passed on to him.

Childhood [ edit | Quelle bearbeiten]

According to Wright's autobiography, his mother declared when she was expecting that her first child would grow up to build beautiful buildings. She decorated his nursery with engravings of English cathedrals torn from a periodical to encourage the infant's ambition. In 1870, the family moved to Weymouth, Massachusetts, where William ministered to a small congregation.

In 1876, Anna visited the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia, where she saw an exhibit of educational blocks created by Friedrich Wilhelm August Fröbel. The blocks, known as Froebel Gifts, were the foundation of his innovative kindergarten curriculum. Anna, a trained teacher, was excited by the program and bought a set with which young Wright spent much time playing. The blocks in the set were geometrically shaped and could be assembled in various combinations to form three-dimensional compositions. In his autobiography, Wright described the influence of these exercises on his approach to design: "For several years, I sat at the little kindergarten table-top… and played… with the cube, the sphere and the triangle—these smooth wooden maple blocks… All are in my fingers to this day… " Α] Many of Wright's buildings are notable for their geometrical clarity.

The Wright family struggled financially in Weymouth and returned to Spring Green, where the supportive Lloyd Jones clan could help William find employment. They settled in Madison, where William taught music lessons and served as the secretary to the newly formed Unitarian society. Although William was a distant parent, he shared his love of music, especially the works of Johann Sebastian Bach, with his children.

Soon after Wright turned 14, his parents separated. Anna had been unhappy for some time with William's inability to provide for his family and asked him to leave. The divorce was finalized in 1885 after William sued Anna for lack of physical affection. William left Wisconsin after the divorce, and Wright claimed he never saw his father again. Β] At this time he changed his middle name from Lincoln to Lloyd in honor of his mother's family, the Lloyd Joneses.

Education (1885–1887) [ edit | Quelle bearbeiten]

Wright attended Madison High School, it is unknown if he graduated. Γ] In 1886 he was admitted to the University of Wisconsin–Madison as a special student. While there, Wright joined Phi Delta Theta fraternity, Δ] took classes part-time for two semesters, and worked with Allan D. Conover, a professor of civil engineering. Ε] Wright left the school without taking a degree, although he was granted an honorary doctorate of fine arts from the university in 1955. Ζ]


Frank Lloyd Wright’s 1930 Code L-29 Cabriolet was on display at the Hagen History Center until October.

Frank Lloyd Wright’s 1930 Code L-29 Cabriolet is now in Erie after traveling hundreds of miles from Auburn, Indiana.

The 17-foot-long car weighed 4,000 pounds, and orange was Wright’s favorite color.

This will be part of Wright’s exhibition at the Erie County Historical Society-Hagen Historical Center, called Frank Lloyd Wright’s San Francisco Office.

The secretary-general says he wants the car to be attractive to many.

“People who come here to see it probably haven’t seen such a car before,” said George Deutsch, secretary general of the Erie County Historical Society in Hagen. History Center.

The car will be in Erie until early October when it will be shipped to the Frank Lloyd Wright Conservation Conference in Buffalo.

Frank Lloyd Wright’s 1930 Code L-29 Cabriolet was on display at the Hagen History Center until October.

Source link Frank Lloyd Wright’s 1930 Code L-29 Cabriolet was on display at the Hagen History Center until October.


Schau das Video: Frank Lloyd Wright, pionnier de larchitecture écologique